The British Embassy is looking for interested candidates for the post of Consular Officer in its Embassy located in Madrid Spain.
14 July 2020
- Fully IT literate
- Attention to detail
- Line management experience in a busy, customer-focused operation
- Excellent organizational skills
- Customer service skills with 3 years experience minimum
- Experience working in a hub, centralized operation or processing center
- Experience in working to deadlines, benchmarks, key performance indicators, and quality standards
Also Check: Various Other Job Openings in Embassies
- Knowledge or experience of working in consular services;
- Previous experience of interviewing customers;
- Previous experience interpreting and applying policy and guidelines
Consular assistance is a FCO priority and issuing Emergency Travel Documents (ETD’s) is a large part of the assistance offered to British nationals whilst working or traveling overseas. The Emergency Travel Document (ETD) Centre processes applications and produces ETDs for British Nationals whose full validity passport has expired, been damaged, lost or stolen or is otherwise unavailable and need to travel urgently. The vast majority of these will have been online applicants and will not attend the High Commission.
Working in a busy team in the ETD Centre, your primary role will be to support your direct reports as you and they process applications for and issue thousands of ETDs.
Your role will include:
- Leading a small team to deliver the ETDs within published FCO timescales. This includes setting objectives and providing line management support for your direct reports, focussing on their delivery and development
- Actively monitoring team performance and resolving potential issues in achieving the FCO service levels
- Providing regular updates to your line manager
- Having a good understanding of the ETD end to end process and the ability to organize the team to implement it
- Having a good understanding of the ETD policy and guidance and helping to shape these
- Checking documents and assessing applicant’s eligibility
- Determining the applicant’s entitlement to British Nationality (in exceptional cases)
- Taking payments for applications
- Data inputting and processing applications
- Quality assuring travel documents ensuring compliance to policy/guidance and approving the issue of ETDs
- Printing ETDs and organizing courier delivery
- Liaising with customers, usually by email or by phone but some face-to-face contact
- Interviewing some applicants by video link or occasionally face-to-face or by phone
- Liaison with consular colleagues at Consulates from a wide geographical range
- Adhere to and meet processing benchmarks/key performance indicators
- ETD Stock management duties
You would also be required to lead on the more complicated applications, ensuring we meet our commitment to British nationals whilst ensuring both security and accuracy of documents.