The United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia ESCWA in Beirut, Lebanon is seeking applications from eligible and motivated candidates for the Job post of ‘English Translator’ which would entitle all International AMP benefits. Interested candidates can check their eligibility and apply to this job post.
Job Post: English Translator
Location: Beirut, Lebanon
Organization: ESCWA, Beirut
Last date to Apply: 18th January 2021
Also Read: Various Other Job Vacancies in Lebanon
ESCWA provides a framework for the formulation and harmonization of sectoral policies for member countries, a platform for congress and coordination, a home for expertise and knowledge, and an information observatory. ESCWA activities are coordinated with the divisions and main offices of the Headquarters of the United Nations, specialized agencies, and international and regional organizations, including the League of Arab States and its subsidiary bodies, and the Gulf Cooperation Council.
This position is located within the Conference Services Section (CSS), Resource Management and Service Development Division (RMSDD) of the Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA). The English Revisor/Translator reports directly to the Chief of CSS.
Main duties and responsibilities:
Within delegated authority, the Reviser/Translator (English) will be responsible for carrying out the following:
1) Revises translations covering a broad range of technical subjects dealt with by the United Nations and the Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA).
2) Translates, mostly without revision and often under tight schedules, texts of sensitive, complex or technical nature covering a broad range of subjects dealt with by the United Nations and the Commission, particularly those subjects requiring experience and recognized proficiency.
3) Develops new terminology for use where none exists in the target language.
4) Carries out linguistic research and, as appropriate, prepares terminological bulletins and glossaries, technical vocabularies and related reference tools.
5) Counsels and assists translators and briefs them on the procedures and practices related to language functions, terminology and a broad range of subjects, as required.
6) Participates in the setting of terminology and writing standards.
7) Supervises the work of small groups of translators/précis-writers.
8) Undertakes editing jobs when needed.
9) Performs other related duties as required by the Chief of Section.
• Professionalism: Possesses solid analytical, writing and translation skills; Maintains high standards of accuracy, consistency and faithfulness to the spirit, style and nuances of the original text with a good grasp of the subject matter, such as to require little or no revision; Is familiar with a broad range of issues related to the functions of the Commission; Demonstrates mastery of terminological, reference and research, consultation and information relevant to text at hand; has the ability to work under pressure and maintain adequate speed and volume of output.
• Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
• Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
A minimum of five years of experience in translation, précis-writing, self-revision and use of relevant computer software, electronic tools and databases is required.
At least three years of experience in the above-mentioned areas in the United Nations is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. In addition, Arabic is a working language at ESCWA.
For this position, fluency in English is required.
Fluency in Arabic is also required. Knowledge of French is desirable.
A first-level university degree from a university or institution of equivalent status.