Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia a specialized programme run by the United Nations is inviting applications for the Job role of “ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER’ for its office located in Beirut, Lebanon. All Interested Candidates can check their eligibility below and Apply.
Job Post: Administrative Officer
Location: Beirut, Lebanon
Organization: Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia
Last date to Apply: 19th September 2020
1 October 2020
Within delegated authority, the Administrative Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGEMENT
Effectively supports the Director of RMSDD to coordinate actions relative to the administration of human resource activities, e. g., recruitment, placement, promotion, performance appraisal, job classification reviews, separation of staff members, training etc.
BUDGET AND FINANCE
- Takes the lead with respect to the preparation and implementation of the work programme, ensuring that financial resources are utilised to implement activities in accordance with the Programme Budget and allotments issued.
- Monitors and reviews the work programme and budget by conducting regular and special reviews to assess progress of actual work versus the programme plan. Coordinates the production of programme reports.
- Defines requirements and work with systems units with respect to improving budget reporting systems and cost effective utilisation of program resources.
- Develops procedures and implement same to ensure that accounting and financial management controls are consistent with UN policy and practice.
- Supervises and/or provides guidance on financial administration and management information issues and practices to colleagues.
- Provides guidance and leadership to more junior staff.
- Support the Director in fulfilling oversight responsibilities in respect of the resources and staff of the Organization through the central coordination of oversight functions at ESCWA including the issuance/management of sub-delegations to ensure compliance with relevant guidance material and key performance indicators.
- Develops and operationalizes processes and procedures to ensure that appropriate internal controls are established in line with the UN policies and practices.
- Conducts research and provides detailed analysis and recommendations for action/improvement in relation to the work of the Division, and coordinates with various administrative functions to produce précis reports that serve senior management in informed decision making.
- Drafts various types of internal/external communications/documents and represents the office of the Director in intra- and interagency committees, working groups and other groupings as required.
- Oversees work related to procurement, billing and receipt of income from various services, operational travel programme, procurement monitoring and evaluation of vendor contracts/payment to vendors and individual contractors for services.
- Reviews adequacy of departmental space requirements.
- Oversees the identification of office technology needs and maintenance of equipment, software and systems, coordinating enhancements as necessary.
- Performs other related work as required.
• PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of administrative, budgetary, financial and human resources policies and procedures. Ability to apply various United Nations administrative rules and regulations in work situations. Conceptual analytical and evaluate skills to conduct independent research and analysis. Ability to identify issues, formulate opinions, make conclusions and recommendations. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
• TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organisational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
• PLANNING AND ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business or public administration, finance, accounting, law or related area is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in administration, finance, accounting, human resources management or related field is required.
At least two years of experience processing, reviewing, and analysing transactions, data and workflows on an Enterprise Resource Planning system (ERP) is required.
At least two years of experience in the interpretation and application of financial rules and regulations of international organizations is desirable.
At least two years of experience in developing, analysing and reviewing policies, Standard Operating Procedures, audit responses, budget proposals and statistics is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. In addition, Arabic is a working language at ESCWA. For this position, fluency in English is required; knowledge of Arabic is desirable.
Note: “Fluency” equals a rating of ‘fluent’ in all four areas (speak, read, write, and understand) and “Knowledge of” equals a rating of ‘confident’ in two of the four areas.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by a competency-based interview.