The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance IIDEA is inviting Job applications for the vacancy of ‘Publications Officer‘ in Stockholm, Sweden which would entitle with all International benefits. Interested candidates can check their eligibility and apply to this job post.
Job Post: Publications Officer
Salary: Salary SEK 28 805 per month
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Organization: International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance IIDEA
Last date to Apply: 22nd November 2020
International IDEA’s publishing program is one of the key components of the organization’s public identity. International IDEA produces a variety of publications, both print and electronic, each aimed at achieving particular objectives and each targeted at specific audiences. The Institute’s publications include handbooks, country reports and democracy assessments, policy papers, policy briefs, discussion papers, and conference reports. The publishing program covers many languages but the main languages are Arabic, English, French, and Spanish.
In this context, there is a need for project management of publications production which includes translations from English into French and Spanish, as well as in the quality control, proofreading and uploading of publications.
The main functions of the post are:
- To support the Publications Manager in the production of designated International IDEA publications;
- To maintain and update the International IDEA publications’ production archive, as well as provide relevant statistical reports on the use and downloads of International IDEA publications;
- To provide support to both the Publications team and the Communications team with graphic design tasks for print, web and social media (based on existing templates and development of new ones).
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Prepares and implements plans for the production of each assigned publication, giving timelines for copyediting, layout, proofreading and printing;
- Obtains quotes from external providers and liaises with programme staff on contract issues for the different stages of production; This includes working with designers, editors, proofreaders, translators, illustrators, photographers and printers;
- Liaises with programme staff and external providers on the different stages of production;
- Layout of covers and shorter publications in Adobe InDesign based on existing templates;
- Typesetting in International IDEA’s single-source publishing platform in English, French and Spanish;
- Supports the Communications team with graphic design including social media content laid out in InDesign, based on content from International IDEA publications and databases;
- Designs graphs in Adobe Illustrator or InDesign for International IDEA publications and communications material;
- Edits photos and images in Adobe Photoshop;
- Updates International IDEA’s publications section on the website;
- Supports updates to the Editorial Standards in French and Spanish (with the support of external providers);
- Manages and updates the publications’ production archive.
- Has developed specialized skills or is multi-skilled developed through job-related training and considerable on-the-job experience;
- Adds considerable value to team-based activities in his/her u
- nit, and is likely to act as an informal resource for colleagues; collaborates with other entities of the Institute as required;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional guidelines;
- Can be expected to travel globally to any geographical area involved in his/her projects;
- Acts in accordance with International IDEA’s Core Values: Respect, Integrity and Professionalism;
- Integrates a gender and diversity perspective in all activities.
- University degree in Publishing, Communications or other relevant discipline plus minimum three (3) years’ professional experience in publication production processes and editorial systems, preferably in the development field;
- Advanced user of Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop and other relevant publishing tools;
- Experience of working with XML/HTML workflows;
- Proven experience in editing material for a range of traditional media and audiences, and for web and social media resources would be an asset;
- Experience of working in an international context, e.g. in an intergovernmental organization, considered an advantage;
- Strong interest in the practical and theoretical aspects of democracy and its role in development, human security and international relations.
- Integrates a results-based approach into his/her activities;
- Understands how the assigned duties relate to others in the team and how the team integrates with others throughout the organization;
- Uses knowledge of how the team integrates with others to accomplish team objectives;
- Excellent organizational, people and time-management skills, with the ability to handle confidential information and to work in a multicultural team;
- Proven ability to set and meet stringent deadlines and work in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to work both independently with minimum supervision, and in teams;
- Illustrates integrity, a collaborative spirit, a sense of achievement, and an understanding of risk management.